Sunday, March 25, 2007

The 360

Last week, I picked up my order for a(n) XBox 360 Premium Ed., an extra wireless controller and four titles: Gears of War, Crackdown, Ghost Recon - Advanced Warfighter 2, and Viva Piñata (for my wife). I've been saving up to buy the console since January and I must say that it's worth every cent.

Setting up the system is pretty straightforward, much like the Nintendo Wii: hook up the marked cables, turn on the system, sync the wireless controllers and play. Visual details on standard definition TV are acceptable, but the system comes into it's own when it's hooked up to an HDTV - call me impressed.

Playing alone is great, but connecting to XBox Live brings out the monster in the 360. Fighting AI gets predictable if you play long enough. In the end, nothing beats playing against other people. Of course, PC gamers have been fragging other players on the net for years so this is nothing new to me. What sets the 360 apart is the way it meshes the different processes into one tight package.

Game patches are automatically downloaded, searching for matches is painless, gameplay is mostly lag-free, even the VoIP system is good. So good, in fact, that all the nuances of an opponent's constructive criticisms are perfectly conveyed to the listener. This is where watching South Park comes in handy (Thanks Cartman), just mix in several ethnic slurs with various homosexual insults and you're good to go. One more thing, it also helps to know intimate details about your opponent's mom.

Like I said, it's worth every cent. Even my wife can't seem to pry herself away from the little piñatas. (I'll probably have to spring for another one.)

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got a date with Kill3rboi's mommy in a couple of minutes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home